Home » one offs

New HMRC Payroll Account

2 February 2011 No Comment

You need a payroll account with HMRC in order to make remittances of tax and national insurance (even if the amounts are NIL). For historic reasons this account is called a “scheme” and it has two different reference numbers, one for the Inspector of Taxes (a PAYE ref) and a different one for the Collector of Taxes (the Accounts Office ref). We need both numbers!


At some point in the next 10 days, you should receive a letter (like the one above) from the tax office which gives you the two references.

  • Accounts Office reference
  • Employer PAYE reference

As soon as you have these, please let us know what they are. We don’t need the letter or any other PAYE paperwork, just the two reference numbers. About 3 or 4 days after the letter you might also receive a yellow (or a white)  payslip booklet. We look after notification of remittances so you can shred the booklet. Thanks.


Leave your response!

You must be logged in to post a comment.